I read it so you wouldn’t have to. Here’s my report.
Written by Caren White and published in Medium.com 2/23/2022
So while Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) is busy releasing his plans for his anticipated Republican House majority after the midterms, over in the Senate, Rick Scott (R-Fla.), chairman of the National Republican Senatorial committee, has come up with an 11 point plan for his anticipated Republican Senate majority after the midterms.
It’s a doozy. Sort of Leave it to Beaver meets the culture wars. You can read it for yourself here.
If you don’t want to read it, I’m providing a summary of it here. Along with my inimitable commentary.
Warning. Sarcasm ahead.
The format is as follows: Title of numbered point, Scott’s summary of the numbered point, then my summary of the details of the point.
Think this is long? The original runs 30 pages.
- Education — “We will inspire patriotism and stop teaching the revisionist history of the radical left; our kids will learn about the wisdom of the US Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and the founding fathers. Public schools will focus on the 3 R’s, not indoctrinate children with critical race theory or any other political ideology.”
Yup, you guessed it. This is the anti-CRT point. And the “get rid of the Department of Education” point.
He also wants to get rid of tenure for teachers. I know quite a few teachers. The best way to piss-off teachers and teacher unions is to threaten to eliminate tenure.
Bring it on, educators. This guy needs to go to the principle’s office for a good paddling.
2. Color Blind Equality —“Government will never again ask American citizens to disclose their race, ethnicity, or skin color on any government forms. We are going to eliminate racial politics in America. No government policy will be based on race. People ‘will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.’ We are all made in the image of God; to judge a person on the color of their epidermis is immoral”.
I didn’t even have to look at the details. It’s screamingly obvious that this is the anti-Affirmative Action point.
Colleges and Universities who use Affirmative Action in their admissions will lose federal funding and their tax-exempt status.
He even drags the military into it forbidding any diversity training, CRT indoctrination or “any woke ideological indoctrination that divides our troops.”
I think that he should call point 2 “White Men Rule America.”
3. Safety and Crime — “The soft-on-crime days of coddling criminal behavior will end. We will re-fund and respect the police because, they, not the criminals, are the good guys.” We will enforce our laws, all of them, and increase penalties for theft and violent crime. “We will clean up our cities and stop pretending that crime is OK. We have zero tolerance for “mostly peaceful protests” that attack police officers, loot businesses, and burn down our cities.”
This is the anti-BLM point giving police free rein to enforce the law. It strengthens qualified immunity to protect the police from us. Then there’s that little matter of the mandatory sentences.
And don’t forget the Second Amendment which he promises will be defended “at all costs.”
Let’s call this one the “Arm the police and White people to defend against the Black and brown people” point.
4. Immigration — “We will secure our border, finish building the wall, and name it after President Donald Trump. Nations have borders. We should give that a try. President Trump’s plan to build a wall was right. We welcome those who want to join us in building the American dream, immigrants who want to be Americans, not change America. We are a stronger nation because we are a nation of immigrants, but immigration without assimilation makes us weaker. Politicians from both parties talk big about border security and do nothing. We are done with that.”
I don’t have to tell you that this is the anti-immigrant point, do I? No welfare for illegal immigrants and no federal dollars for sanctuary cities.
And no “cultural segregation.” Melting pot only. Is this a thinly veiled attempt at making English the official language of the US?
No more multi-lingual signs? No more “press one for English, para Espanol oprima dos?”
Last time I checked, unless you are Native American, you are an immigrant. Some of us came legally. Some of us came illegally. But none of us really belong here.
5. Growth/Economy — “We will grow America’s economy, starve Washington’s economy, and stop Socialism. Socialism is un-American and always leads to poverty and oppression. We will stop it. We will shrink the federal government, reduce the government workforce by 25% in 5 years, sell government buildings and assets, and get rid of the old, slow, closed, top-down, government-run-everything system we have today.”
Republicans just love to shrink the government. Make the states do everything. But without federal funding.
Balance the budget.
Is it just me or is the last time the budget balanced, a Democrat sat in the Oval Office?
And make everybody pay taxes, including the ones at the bottom of the income scale who currently pay nothing and therefore have no “skin in the game.”
Everybody? Good, let’s start with the billionaires and big corporations.
6. Government Reform and Debt — “We will eliminate all federal programs that can be done locally, and enact term limits for federal bureaucrats and Congress. Many government agencies should be either moved out of Washington or shuttered entirely. Yesterday’s old government is fundamentally incompatible with the digital era. The permanent ruling class in Washington is bankrupting us with inflation and debt, so they must be removed. For you to have more, Washington must have less.”
He wants term limits! 12 years in Congress and you are out. So I checked. This is his first term in the Senate. He was elected in 2018. Wait until he’s been in DC for a while with all the perks. He’ll be singing a different tune.
Simplify the tax code. Cut IRS funding and workforce by 50%
Wait, doesn’t this contradict point #5 where he wants more people to pay taxes which will necessitate more IRS employees to process the returns and audit the cheats?
7. Fair Fraud-Free Elections — “We will protect the integrity of American Democracy and stop left-wing efforts to rig elections. Today’s Democrat Party is trying to rig elections and pack the courts because they have given up on Democracy. They don’t believe they can win based on their ideas, so they want to game the system and legalize voter fraud to stay in power. In true Orwellian fashion, Democrats refer to their election rigging plans as “voting rights”. We won’t allow the radical left to destroy our democracy by institutionalizing dishonesty and fraud.”
Wow, talk about projection. Substitute “Republican” for “Democrat” in the above and you have the perfect description of how elections work today.
In-person voting only, no ballot boxes, no votes counted that arrive after the polls close.
It’s Trump’s dream election scenario.
8. Family — “The nuclear family is crucial to civilization, it is God’s design for humanity, and it must be protected and celebrated. To say otherwise is to deny science. The fanatical left seeks to devalue and redefine the traditional family, as they undermine parents and attempt to replace them with government programs. We will not allow Socialism to place the needs of the state ahead of the family.”
Everyone has to be married. No one can get abortions. Faith-based adoption agencies are best.
I’m humming the Leave it to Beaver theme.
Scott is 70 years old. He is longing for his childhood back in the 50s.
If I had my way, he wouldn’t even be in the Senate because of mandatory retirement ages that I would like to see enacted for Congress, the president and SCOTUS.
9. Gender, Life, Science — “Men and women are biologically different, ‘male and female He created them.’ Modern technology has confirmed that abortion takes a human life. Facts are facts, the earth is round, the sun is hot, there are two genders, and abortion stops a beating heart. To say otherwise is to deny science.”
This is the “no transgender people in women’s sports” point.
No transitioning before 18. There are only two genders according to science.
And no “biological males” on women’s sports teams.
This is what happens when you elect old people to office.
Rick, sweetie, they have updated the textbooks since you were in school. Science now recognizes that there is no clear demarcation between male and female. Some people fall in between.
10. Religious Liberty and Big Tech — “Americans will be free to welcome God into all aspects of our lives, and we will stop all government efforts to deny our religious freedom and freedom of speech. The Democrat Party and their Big Tech allies are not merely secular; they have virtually created a new religion of wokeness that is increasingly hostile toward people of faith, particularly Christians and Jews. They are determined to drive all mention of God out of public view. We will not be silenced, canceled, or told what words to use by the politically correct crowd.”
This is the “Christians shouldn’t be forced to bake wedding cakes for same sex weddings” point.
It has the usual litany of complaints about Christians having to adhere to the same laws as the rest of us outside of the privacy of their homes and churches.
Interestingly enough, there’s a paragraph condemning Section 230 which allows internet companies to ban users who post objectionable content.
Trump tried to get rid of it. Now he is trying to use it to ban users from his new social networking site who post anything critical of him or the site.
Not so interesting is the veiled threat of using the Second Amendment to enforce the First Amendment.
I’m not impressed. Cowards hide behind guns.
11. America First — “We are Americans, not globalists. America will be dependent on NO other country. We will conduct no trade that takes away jobs or displaces American workers. Countries who oppose us at the UN will get zero financial help from us. We will be energy-independent and build supply chains that never rely on our adversaries. We will only help countries that are willing to defend themselves, like Israel.”
This is real 50s shit. Monroe Doctrine. America as the world’s police. Keeping our sphere of influence in our hemisphere. Keeping everyone else out.
Somebody please tell Scott that the Cold War is over.
Then educate him about economics. In today’s interconnected world, it is impossible to build supply chains that don’t include any other countries. Raw materials sometimes have to come from other countries because they are not found here.
I think Scott’s 11 point plan should be mandatory reading for all voters before they vote in the midterms. They should know exactly what they are voting for.
And then read it again in 2024 cuz Scott has been mentioned as a possible presidential candidate and this document would make a great platform.